Cameron and I had to speak today in Sacrament Meeting today on Gratitude. I stress and stress about it but when in comes down to it I am always so grateful that I had been given that opportunity. We were given the topic Gratitude and what a wonderful to ponder my gratitude in so many different aspects of my life. With preparing my talk I came upon so many different quotes and stories that really put our gratitude into perspective. So for the next couple of days I will be blogging about these different quotes and stories... here is the first one!
In Luke 17 we read the story about the 10 lepers… One day the Savior entered a village where there were 10 lepers. Now, those of us who have grown up in the last few years know very little about lepers. Leprosy was a terrible, dreaded disease anciently. These 10 lepers came to the Savior and said, “Master, have mercy upon us; have mercy upon us who have that terrible ailment of leprosy.” And He said to the 10 lepers, “Go visit your priest, and he will take care of you”—which they did. They went to see their priests, and they were cleansed, all 10 of them. A short time later, one of them returned to the Savior and fell on his face and his hands and his knees, thanking the Savior for blessing him and making him well from that terrible disease. And the Savior said to that one man: “Weren’t there 10? What has happened to the other nine? Where are they?”
In speaking of the story of the 10 lepers, Elder Howard W. Hunter also stressed our need to thank our Heavenly Father for all the blessings that He gives to us: “Of the ten men who were healed, only one returned to express appreciation. This must have been a disappointment to the Master, but there are many who receive blessings, many who are endowed with good things in life, yet never take the time or go to the effort to show gratitude to the benefactor or express appreciation to God. As I read the story again and again, it’s made me think. How would you like to be part of the “nine”? Wouldn’t that be something—to be numbered among those who failed to return and acknowledge the Savior for the blessings He had given them? Only one returned.



1 comment:
I would have liked to have heard your talks. We've had talks on gratitude this month as well and I've enjoyed them all. We can never be reminded enough and we can never thank Heavenly Father enough. Enjoy browsing your blog! Your Halloween costumes were very creative and baby is growing so fast! And he's so cuddly and cute!
Post a Comment